Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Its all about the details..

I recently had time to dine at 2 of the area's newer restaurants. I chose each one because I love the architectural detail and ambiance of each. I knew from previous visits to both that their food and ambiance was terrific..You see I don't go out just to eat. I am a good cook and can feed myself quit nicely at home. In my college days I worked for fine restaurants to support myself...and learned "customer service" from award winning restauranteurs....I dine out to enjoy the setting and experience with friends.

What struck me in both recent experiences, is that both owners had gone to great expense with the restoration of their buildings, the decor of their establishments and their hiring of fine chefs. What they neglected to look at, and address, was the people presenting their wonderful creations and how that effects the total experience..and in the hospitality business, as in retail or any other business, it is about people and grace and style. In both cases the wait person was not informed of menu items, or of the kitchens/managements style and not properly trained in the art or service..Not their fault...

I had brought friends ( i.e. new customers) to both restaurants...there is a saying in retail that for every unhappy customer..there will be ten people that they will tell...ten lost sales..

Being a business owner who frequently brings contractors into homes of clients to preform services...I am very sensetive to how my clients are treated...my subcontractors make my business, just like the wait staff can make or break a restuarant. If there is a problem, then it is my problem and I have not done my job. . and I have had my share of "problems." After years of experiance, I have learned that you have to invest time with all the people you have representing you company and that when you take the time to train and empower you employees to do their best..they love it and will make you proud.

My Point in all this is not to find fault with local business.. but to bring the Art of Design and Style to the forfront of all businesses. No matter what the product we sell ..if we are not putting our very best efforts forward in all aspects of our business..then we are wasting money and shortchanging the clients we want to keep.

THE GOOD NEWS..
After my second experiance..I emailed the management of one of the restaurants...I took the attitude that they where not aware and explained my experiance without judgement..and thankfully.. I recieved a wonderful email back thanking me. I am so pleased because I really like that place...and hope to return soon... knowing I will have a better experiance... I will now email the other restauranteur with my concerns ...I want to live in a town that has lots of really great places and people to experiance...
IT REALLY IS ALL ABOUT DESIGN..HOW YOU DESIGN YOUR BUSINESS..

No comments:

Post a Comment